Friday, February 8, 2008

Making Connections

After I left Carlos Pellegrini, I headed to Piamonte, another town we visited in 1991. The cheese factory had such a good product back then, I hoped to find a place to buy some and maybe take a few pictures, maybe spend thirty minutes total . The town is at the end of the pavement, so they don't get much through traffic. My prescence was soon noticed by the local police and I was asked to follow the offcer to the office so they could take my information. I explained what I was doing and they accepted my explanation, but they wouldn't let me leave without notifying some Rotarians of my prescence. Within 30 minutes Rico and Roberto were at the station asking me to lunch. I told them I didn't want to bother them, but they wouldn't take no for an answer. After lunch I was asked to do a radio interview and a TV interview for he local cable channel. Later on we went to Roberto's headquarters where he kindly let me look at his tractors and sprayers. Rico, me, Roberto and his son


Later we went to look at the soybean crop. After 5 hours of hospitality, I had to go.


I went through el Trebol and looked around, then on to San Vicente for the night. In the morning I got to meet with Guillermo Cuneo at the local combine and sprayer factory and got a tour of the plant, much like 17 years ago. He got me in touch with Romulo, in Angelica.

Romulo is the kind of guy that Rotary is all about. He was really busy, but he stopped what he was doing to offer lunch and good fellowship with his family. He got me a list of names and adresses for other people I was looking for. Thanks, Romulo!


I went back to San Vicente and talked to Oscar and his wife, and their daughter , Franni, who took the picture. I stayed with them in 1991 and Franni was a little kid then, now she's newly married with a house of her own.

I moved on to Galvez for the night, and was able to meet up with the Questa's, who treated me to some wonderful ice cream. The next morning I went to Santa Fe and looked in on Bernardo and Chiquita, who treated us like family when we were here the last time.

What can I say, they know how to make someone feel welcome.

They even invited me along to a family get together with about 25 relatives.


There I met Ricardo and Juan Pablo, twins who are motorcycle fanatics and enjoyed listening to me talk about my trip.


The next day I was treated to lunch with Diego and his mom and dad, Chiquito, and Diego's family.
Last time I was here there was a girl named Vanina, who reminded me of an angel. This time, Diego's little girl did it.


No comments: