Thursday, October 11, 2007

With a few exceptions the pavement has been good since we left Oaxaca. The way down to the coast was lined with agava fields. They spread out with the most wonderful color, my favorite, teal. (I painted my house that color, and my brother joked that I had just lowered the property values of the entire neighborhood). We stopped at a place where they produced mezcal and picked up a bottle for ourselves. We never actually saw the Pacific, but the humidity assured us that it was close.

As Landon reported, the ride to San Cristobal was spectacular. We got some refreshing light showers, then a drenching in Tuxtla Gutierrez. From then on it was a ride up into the clouds. Wonderful. Fresh. Last night we stayed in a grand old colonial hotel on the square, a bit pricy, but it evokes another time, and the cost includes parking for the bikes and breakfast. There's gentle rain now. It'll probably continue all day. I look forward to getting into Guatemala.

1 comment:

Izzy said...

oh man! it sounds like you guys are having a great time. keep up the posting! it is great to read. i think of you guys often. say hi to a bandito for me!

isaac